This is a dish I created recently that brings together some of my favourite foodie items. I am a huge chorizo fan and am a firm believer that a fried egg makes most meals better! Add a big helping of guacamole and I am in food heaven.
This is quite a brunch-style dish but we have enjoyed it for dinner. In fact, I’m cooking it again tonight and am tweaking the recipe slightly to see what it is like with sweet instead of new potatoes – I’m guessing it will be just as delicious!
I haven’t been too strict with amounts in this recipe – partly through laziness and partly because it’s a throw-it-in-a-pan dish and cannot imagine anyone weighing out potatoes and kale! The below amounts served two greedy people.
About half a bag of new potatoes, quartered
A glug of olive oil
One red onion, chopped
Half a ring of chorizo, halved and sliced
2-3 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper
About 100g (or a good handful) of kale with the stems removed and roughly shredded
Two eggs, fried
One serving of my guacamole
A sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to make it
- Parboil your potatoes until they are just cooked then drain and set to one side
- Heat the oil in your pan over a medium heat and add the onion, chorizo and bacon
- Light fry for about 10 minutes until the chorizo releases its lovely oils
- Add the potatoes and cook for another few minutes
- Season well and sprinkle over a generous helping of paprika – I think I also threw in a spring onion I had hanging around in the fridge
- Add the kale and cook for another 5 minutes until the kale has wilted and everything else is starting to crisp up
- Fry your eggs in a separate pan
- Serve the chorizo hash with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and an egg on top, with a generous helping of guacamole on the side
My new favourite mid-week meal! x