I did wonder whether or not to post this recipe right at the beginning of January whilst everyone is on a health kick but then I thought a) everything in moderation b) baking is cathartic and c) these cupcakes taste delicious!
For the cupcakes
150g of butter or margarine at room temperature
150g of caster sugar
100g of self-raising flour
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
60g of ground almonds
A dash of milk
For the icing
250g of icing sugar
About 10-15ml of lemon juice
Glace cherries to decorate
How to make it
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy
- Now add the flour, eggs, baking powder, ground almonds and milk and mix until well combined
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases and bake for around 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked throughout
- Allow to cool and make the icing
- Sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl and add the lemon juice gradually until you have formed a thick but spreadable icing.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled down, using an apple corer or small teaspoon, remove the centre from each cupcake (I ate these ‘cores’ dipped in the leftover icing!)
- Carefully spoon a small teaspoon of raspberry jam into the hole until it almost reaches the top
- Now, ice your cupcakes and finish with a cherry on top!