So I have become one of those non-dairy, Kilner jar-using, superfood-eating people who prepares breakfast the night before and spends a small fortune on trendy seeds….£8 bag of chia seeds, I’m looking at you!
In all seriousness, it isn’t as bad as it sounds. Weirdly, spending 5 minutes each evening sorting out my breakfast means my mornings are less stressful and I know I’m starting the day with something really healthy and filling. Overnight Oats are basically just porridge which soaks up the milk or liquid overnight and is served chilled with a shedload of fruit, nuts and seeds.
My daily breakfast has an ever changing list of ingredients but the basics stay the same and I use a small cup to measure my oats out with double the amount of milk.
1 cup of oats (use chunky or steel-cut oats)
2 cups of milk (I love using almond milk for this)
A teaspoon of chia seeds
Frozen berries (blueberries and cherries are my favourites!)
Seeds (I’m currently using a mix of linseed, goji berries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
Nuts (I had a bag of mixed nuts in my baking drawer)
How to make it
- In a bowl, jar or lunchbox, add the oats, milk and chia seeds
- Give them a stir and tip over a handful of frozen berries
- Pop this in the fridge overnight
- The next morning, give it another stir, add the seeds, nuts and top with flaked almonds
The flavour combinations are endless here! I have been experimenting for the last few weeks and here are some winners:
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A drizzle of syrup, honey or dulce de leche on top
- Fresh mango
- Choc chips
Any other recommendations for how to jazz up my oats? x