Happy weekend! It is a rather dull and grey Saturday here but I forced myself to go for a run and was really pleased to see I have hit the half stone mark on my New Year weight loss! I keep seeing the saying about summer bikini bodies being made in winter and I guess it’s true although it’s so tough to pull on your running shoes when it’s cold and windy outside.
In a complete about-turn, I am going to talk cupcakes now! I only made a small batch of these again and have been rationing myself to half a cake per day so although I am eating much healthier at the moment, I don’t feel completely denied of all treats.
These have that lovely sweet, almost lemony cola flavour and I put this in both the cake and the icing to get a double hit of flavour…and of course, I just had to decorate them with some cola bottles too!
Ingredients (for 8 cupcakes)
For the cakes
40g of butter or margarine, at room temperature
140g of caster sugar
120g of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of cola syrup/ flavouring
140ml of milk
For the icing
125g of icing sugar
40g of butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon of cola flavouring
15ml of milk
Cola bottles for decoration
How to make it
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4 and line your muffin tray with cupcake cases
- I used my Kitchen Aid for the mixing but it can obviously be done by hand too! Whisk together the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until combined
- In a separate jug, mix the cola flavouring, milk and egg then gradually add this to the dry ingredients in the mixer until smooth
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cases (about half to two-thirds full) and then pop them in the oven
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout
- Allow to cool while you make the frosting
- Whisk together the icing sugar and butter
- In a separate jug or cup, mix the cola flavouring and milk then add it to the icing until it is light and fluffy
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, spread the icing on top with a knife or teaspoon
- Top with the cola bottles and enjoy!