I don’t want this to be too much of a I-was-into-this-way-before-anyone-else kind of post but I have been a fan of podcasts for a while now and I’m really glad they are gaining in popularity as it means the quality and selection available is great now!
I work my way through a fair few podcasts each week and listen to them either in the car or when I’m cooking dinner each evening. If I can’t sleep, I sometimes play a podcast and it is a strangely soothing way to nod off – especially during the stormy nights we have had this week.
I have quite an eclectic range of podcasts on my iPhone so thought it would be fun to share these and hopefully find some new recommendations too. Here are some of my favourites:
- Woman’s Hour Daily Podcast – Putting aside my love for Jane Garvey and Jenni Murray, I love how varied this podcast is, covering a huge variety of issues for women from equal pay to Dolly Parton!
- The Kitchen Cabinet – Hosted by the excellent Jay Rayner, this foodie podcast always has great guest chefs and poses the most brilliant kitchen dilemmas. I’m always hungry after I’ve listened to this one!
- The Archers – I was trying to casually sneak this one in as I know it’s hardly the best thing for my street cred but I absolutely love it! Set in the fictional village of Ambridge, it’s a great little soap opera and I feel like I’m listening to old friends chatting when I listen to it.
- Serial – OK, if you haven’t listened to this cult true-life crime series then where have you been?! I have to admit that I find the narrator slightly irritating but it was an intriguing series and I binged on about 7 episodes during a long drive back from Cambridge one weekend. Without giving away any spoilers, I was slightly disappointed with the lack of closure in the finale but I hear there is a second series in the making which I will definitely be listening to.
- The Ricky Gervais Audiobooks – Not strictly a podcast but I had to include these here as I listen to them repeatedly and they never fail to make me laugh.
- The Xfm Josh Widdicombe Podcast – This one doesn’t include the music from Josh’s weekly show but is hilarious and he always has fellow stand-up comedians as guests; we’ve actually just booked tickets to go and see one of them soon too.
- Unreported World – A weekly podcast giving an insight into the lives of people from around the world. I’ve listened to some fascinating and really moving episodes.
- The Frank Skinner Show – I have to admit I wasn’t a huge fan but started listening to these in bed whilst having a lazy Saturday morning and it really does make me chuckle.
- From Our Own Correspondent – A more political podcast from Kate Adie with another take on stories from around the globe.
- 606 Football Phone-in and Fighting Talk – I do love my football and quite enjoy these shows. They can get a bit ‘lads banter’ sometimes but on the whole are quite good.
- The Kaneing – A topical comedy show by Russell Kane, one of my favourite comedians. This has finished now but the previous episodes are available to download.
- Desert Island Discs – I don’t listen to every episode of this podcast but there are such fascinating guests on and I always enjoy hearing their music choices.
Are you a podcast fan? Can you recommend any good ones I’m currently missing out on?