Sometimes you want a really nice dessert but just don’t have the time/ ingredients/ inclination to make both pastry and lemon curd from scratch. Cue my super-easy lemon meringue pies using good quality but short-cut ingredients!
I bought the sweet pastry cases but would also buy a roll of ready-made pastry for this recipe too…it’s definitely OK to cheat when it comes to pastry. Lemon curd is one of my favourite things to spread on toast. I’ve never made it before but it looks pretty simple so I may give it a go in the near future. This time however I bought a jar and it worked perfectly for a quick and easy pudding.
6 mini sweet pastry cases
6 generous teaspoons of lemon curd
1 egg white
50g of caster sugar
How to make it
- Begin by preheating your oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6
- Fill each pastry case with a generous spoonful of lemon curd
- Whisk the egg white until stiff peaks have formed
- Gradually add the sugar until the mixture is thick and glossy
- Spoon the meringue mixture onto the tarts – I like to use the back of a teaspoon to pull into little peaks
- Bake for 6 – 8 minutes until the meringue has started to brown
These looked and tasted great – they were quite light so would be perfect after a hearty Sunday roast! x