And so another wet and grey week comes to an end. It’s been a good one but I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing for some sunshine! It took me over an hour to get home on Friday night as the town I drive through was busy putting up their flood defences as we brace ourselves for another wet weekend.
It’s not all bad though. When you can’t go outside, you have to work extra hard to find things to do inside and I can usually be found pottering away in the kitchen.
I decided to try out a new cake recipe, with the help of a few packets of Oreo cookies in the cake batter and the icing. These cupcakes are delicious and the crunch of the biscuits add another texture to make these even tastier!
For the cupcakes
225g of room temperature butter or margarine
225g of caster sugar
225g of self-raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
10 Oreo cookies
For the icing
375g of icing sugar, sieved
225g of room temperature butter
A pinch of salt
10 Oreo cookies
How to make it
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4 and pop your baking cases into a muffin tin
- Cream together the butter and sugar then add the self-raising flour, baking powder, eggs and vanilla extract until combined
- Bash up the first lot of Oreo cookies – I find a rolling pin and a sandwich bag does the trick!
- Add the cookie crumbs to the batter and stir
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cases – I managed to make about 20 cakes
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool
- For the icing, beat together the icing sugar, butter and salt
- Bash up the remaining 10 Oreo cookies then mix these crumbs through the icing
- There is no point trying to make this icing look perfect so dollop a spoonful on and smooth it down with the back of a teaspoon