It is a beautiful November day today, perfect for getting outside to crunch through the fallen leaves. Ian is at work so I am planning an afternoon in the kitchen making a soup, a pie and a cake – roll on dinner time when we get to scoff it all! Right, onto today’s post…
French Toast, Gypsy Bread, Eggy Bread…whatever you call it, it is a delicious option for breakfast or brunch and I love the fact that you can serve it as a sweet or savoury item.
This recipe caters to those with a sweet tooth and I have to say it is a great way to start the day!
A teaspoon of cinnamon
6 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
2 slices of bread, cut in half
1 banana, sliced
A tablespoon of brown sugar
Maple syrup to serve
How to make it
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl or small plate, pour the coconut flakes and some additional cinnamon – this is your French toast assembly line!
- Heat your frying pan to a medium heat and add a teaspoon of butter
- Dip your bread firstly in the egg and then into the coconut
- Place in the frying pan and gently fry on both sides until golden brown
- Whilst your French toast is cooking, heat some more butter in a small frying pan and add the sliced bananas
- Sprinkle over the brown sugar and cook on a medium heat until the fruit has started to caramelise
- Serve the French toast topped with the bananas and drizzle over some maple syrup. I also recommend a cup of fresh coffee with this then you are ready to face the day!