Seeing as I did one of these for Las Vegas, I thought it was only right that I did one for San Francisco too. The main difference will be that I haven’t visited San Fran before so will be seeing and experiencing everything for the first time.
Ian and I have spent today packing and we are almost done! Ian’s parents are already in America, enjoying a few days in Palm Springs before driving over to Vegas and my parents and brother arrive with us tomorrow before we drive up to London to spend a night in a hotel near the airport. I can’t believe it’s almost time to go!
After all the craziness and glamour of Las Vegas, Ian and I will be hiring a car and driving through Death Valley and Yosemite National Park, making our way up the Californian coastline to San Francisco and here are a few of our plans…
2) Visit Alcatraz Some guidebooks have said this is something of a tourist trap but I think it has a fascinating history and the geek in me can’t wait for a good audio guide and a walk around the old cells!
3) Have some great dim sum in Chinatown Our hotel is right on the edge of Chinatown so I think a plate of fresh, steaming dim sum will be the perfect first meal after our long drive
4) Fisherman’s Wharf Not only will it be lovely to walk along the sea front and hopefully spot some of the sea lions but I have my heart set on a big bowl of clam chowder served in the traditional sourdough bun bowl (hmmmm it looks as though food is going to feature very prominently this holiday!)
5) Take the ferry to Sausalito On the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge sits this community, known for great bars, cafes and shops
6) Get some culture! After the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas, I think it is only right that we take in a bit of art and I have a list of museums and galleries I would like to visit
8) Spend a morning in Golden Gate Park Not only does this have stunning views of the bridge but there is a Japanese tea garden, a bison paddock, conservatory of flowers and you can also rent bikes and boats to explore further
10) Eat, drink and be merry! San Francisco has an amazing selection of places to eat and drink and I cannot wait to explore them with Ian. My best friend Lu will also be in the city for a few days when we are there so a night out is definitely on the cards too!
I could keep going with this list as it seems there is so much to explore in this city but I shall stop now because I may burst with excitement!
I think I will have too much to do tomorrow to find time to blog again so I shall bid you farewell for a few weeks! xxx