On Wednesday evenings, Ian plays football and doesn’t always make it home for dinner before he goes out. I don’t mind too much as it means I get to cook myself dinner and use all the ingredients that he isn’t keen on, like peppers and mushrooms.
Tonight, I was trying to decide what to have when I spotted these beauties on the windowsill.
I love avocados but there is nothing worse than having an unripe one so I was very pleased to give these a squeeze and find out that they were ready to cut open. I plan to make some guacamole for the weekend with a few of them but I wanted to use one for dinner tonight to try out a new recipe.
A while ago, I saw a recipe for avocado pasta but never wrote it down. It stayed at the back of my mind though and I was eager to try and make my own version. Mixed with garlic, chili and lemon, the avocado makes a beautiful creamy sauce and I finished mine off with goats cheese to add a bit of sharpness.
I loved this combination and it is definitely going into my ‘quick and easy dinner’ repertoire! The below ingredients were for one serving so just double or triple the recipe as needed.
A handful of spaghetti (enough for one person)
1 ripe avocado
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper
A pinch of dried chili flakes
A squeeze of fresh lemon
A few snippets of fresh parsley
A handful of hard goats cheese
How to make it
- Begin by adding your pasta to a pan of boiling, salted water and cook until al dente
- In a bowl, scoop out the flesh of the avocado and whip it up with a fork
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, chili and lemon
- Mix well then have a taste to see if the flavours are balanced. Add some more seasoning/ lemon/ chili if needed
- Stir through the parsley
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it then add it to the avocado mixture and toss together
- Serve with a sprinkling of goats cheese and enjoy!