Good morning! The sun is shining today so I am determined to make the most of it by pulling on my wellies and heading off on a big country walk, probably followed by a nice pub lunch too!
It’s great to start the weekend with a big cup of coffee and these coffee cupcakes are the perfect accompaniment. There is coffee in the cupcakes and icing so you get a double hit of the good stuff!
For the cupcakes:
110g of butter or margarine at room temperature
110g of demerara sugar
120g of light soft brown sugar
125g of self-raising flour
120g of plain flour
Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of instant espresso powder
125ml of milk
For the icing:
150g of butter or margarine at room temperature
1 tablespoon of milk
1 tablespoon of instant espresso powder, dissolved in some boiling water
300g of icing sugar, sieved
How to make it
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with cases
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and both types of sugar until light and creamy. You can do this by hand or by using an electric mixer
- Add the eggs and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine the two flours and in a mixing jug combine the vanilla extract, espresso powder and milk
- Now start combing them one third at a time. Begin by adding one third of the flours to the creamed mixture and mix well. Now add one third of the milk mixture and combine.
- Repeat these steps until all ingredients are mixed into a lovely creamy batter
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool and mix up your coffee buttercream icing
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the butter, milk, espresso powder and half the icing sugar
- Gradually add the rest of the icing sugar until you have a smooth consistency
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe on the icing sugar and enjoy with a big cup of coffee!
I made these for Easter, hence the chick cupcake toppers!