So, I mentioned earlier in a week that I was trying to be good with my meals lately but this seems to have gone out of the window in the last few days. I somehow managed to have a bag of mini eggs before going out for a curry and now I am bringing you this cake recipe! Oh well…life is much too short not to have the occasional treat!
I have to say that this cake recipe is pretty amazing and is already in my favourites to make and eat! I love anything with amaretto in and the fresh raspberries add a bit of fruitiness and you can claim you are having one of your five a day as you tuck in.
I made this cake as a way to use up a tin of amaretti biscuits that have been sat on the side next to our coffee maker since I bought them for Ian at Christmas. So far, I have been having one on my saucer every time I have an espresso but I knew we wouldn’t get through them all before they started to lose some of their freshness. I think the tin the biscuits came in is gorgeous so I am pleased I can find a place for this now too!
175g of butter or margarine, at room temperature
175g of golden caster sugar
145g of self-raising flour
85g of ground almonds
130g of amaretti biscuits, bashed up so you have some large and small pieces
200g of raspberries
How to make it
- Begin by greasing a sandwich tin and preheating your oven to 140°, Gas Mark 3
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar
- Add the eggs, flour and ground almonds and mix well
- Spoon half of the mixture into the sandwich tin and spread it evenly
- Sprinkle over half of the amaretti biscuits and half of the raspberries
- Spoon over the remainder of the cake mix – don’t worry if this bit doesn’t look perfect…I call it rustic!
- Scatter over the rest of the biscuits and raspberries
- Bake for about 70 minutes or until the cake it golden brown and cooked throughout
- This is delicious warm or sliced and served cold the next day
If you fancy a spot of baking this weekend, I promise this cake will be a triumph!
I’m spending the evening watching Comic Relief which will no doubt include a few tears but hopefully laughs too! x