For some reason, I have felt absolutely shattered this week and I came home tonight and got straight into bed for a power nap! I have got a very fun-filled weekend with my best friends to look forward to and I am just hoping the rain doesn’t scupper any of our plans.
Today’s recipe is one I made up as I was cooking one evening this week. Neither of us were particularly hungry and I fancied a meat-free dinner so came up with this courgette dish.
Ian and I had this as a main course with some fresh, crusty bread dipped in but it would work fantastically as a side dish with meat or fish too.
A glug of olive oil
One onion, chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper
A pinch of mixed herbs or a few fresh basil leaves
2 courgettes, sliced
3 tomatoes, sliced
A good handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4
- Begin by making the tomato sauce base
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan
- Add the onion and lightly fry until it starts to soften but not brown
- Add the chopped tomatoes and herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until it has thickened slightly then pour the contents of the pan into an ovenproof dish
- Now for the vegetable layer: start browning off the sliced courgettes in a large pan with some oil
- Season as you are cooking them
- Once they have browned, start layering them in rows, slotting in a slice of tomato every now and then
- Once you have a completed layer, sprinkle over a generous amount of parmesan cheese
- Pop the dish into the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the cheese has browned nicely