The nights are getting colder and darker which means the food I am cooking is getting heartier and a little bit spicier!
I order this spinach and cheese as a side dish a lot when we go out for an Indian but this is the first time I have tried making it myself as a main dish and I think it is one I will make again and again because it was very tasty.
Paneer is a hard cheese which is pretty tasteless straight from the packet but when it is cooked, it takes on the flavour of the spices it is cooked in and adds a lovely cheesey-creaminess to the dish.
About 500g of spinach (I used frozen spinach this time (defrosted), but fresh would work just as well)
A glug of vegetable oil
One onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon of Lazy Ginger
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
A pinch of salt
A 250g pack of paneer, cubed
1 teaspoon of garam masala
Half a tub of natural yogurt
A small bunch of fresh coriander
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion for about 5 minutes until it has started to soften
- Add the cumin, fenugreek, ginger, chilli, garlic and salt and cook for another few minutes
- Add the spinach and stir well
- Now add the paneer cubes, garam masala and yogurt
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes until the paneer is lovely and creamy
- Sprinkle with some fresh coriander
- I served mine with rice and naan…delicious!