Today’s recipe is a perfect starter but I decided to serve it as a main course with some pan-fried new potatoes and salad. It’s another one of those dishes where you can add whatever you have in the fridge…bacon, chorizo, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, different cheeses; it’s up to you. Oh yeah, and it’s really quick and easy to make!
I opted for the big ol’ field mushrooms but if you wanted to serve this dish as nibbles then you could use smaller chestnut mushrooms for a bite-sized alternative.
In a waste-not-want-not approach, when you pull the stalks out of the mushrooms, don’t discard them. Instead, chop them up and add them to your filling.
The amounts below are for four large stuffed mushrooms.
4 field mushrooms
A glug of olive oil
Half an onion, chopped
A chunk of salami, diced
4 tablespoons of cream cheese (I used a garlic and herb flavoured one)
A sprinkling of parmesan
Salt and pepper
How to make it
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4
- Begin by removing the stalks from the mushrooms and chop them finely
- In a pan, heat the oil and gently fry the onion for a few minutes until they start to go translucent
- Add the salami and chopped mushroom stalks, season and fry for a few minutes
- Put the pan to one side and allow the contents to cool
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese with the pan contents and season if needed
- Spoon this filling into your mushrooms
- Top with parmesan
- Bake for about 20 minutes, finishing the mushrooms off under the grill to crisp up the cheese topping