It feels like it has been a little while since I posted a recipe so today I wanted to share with you a lovely fish dish.
I made my Swedish meatballs for dinner the other night and found myself with half a packet of fresh dill to use up and it makes a wonderful accompaniment to fish, especially salmon.
3 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons of plain flour
About 200ml of milk, depending on how thick you want your sauce to be
A handful of cheddar cheese, grated
A bunch of fresh dill, chopped
Salt and pepper
2 salmon steaks
How to make it
- Preheat you oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4
- Begin by making a simple white sauce. I know there are several methods for doing this but here is how I make it, just like my Mum showed me!
- Melt the butter in a non-stick saucepan
- Add the flour and mix well
- Keep stirring for a minute or so to cook out the floury taste
- Add the milk, a bit at a time, stirring constantly
- After a few minutes, you should get a sauce-like consistency
- Add the cheese and dill and stir until the cheese has melted
- Season to taste
- Place the salmon in a lightly greased ovenproof dish and season with salt and black pepper
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top and place in the oven (I had a little bit of sauce left over so I served this on the side when the salmon was cooked)
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown
- Serve with potatoes and greens
I am happy to say the sun is shining so I am hobbling out to the garden to make the most of it while it lasts! x