I am a big fan of beetroot and not just the type that comes pickled in a jar. The fresh stuff is sweet, yet earthy, and very versatile although it will stain your hands, clothes and chopping boards if you aren’t careful!
It is this wonderful colour that makes my risotto look so beautiful and I recommend this dish as a dinner party starter or a tasty mid-week supper.
The amount below serves 2 hungry people.
A good glug of olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
120g of Arborio rice
About 100ml of white wine (you may find you need to add more)
400ml of vegetable stock (again, you may need more)
2 big fresh beetroots, cooked
A generous handful of grated Parmesan cheese
How to make it
- In a deep frying pan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion and garlic until translucent
- Add the rice and mix until it is well coated with the oil
- Pour in the wine and stir until it is absorbed
- Add the stock bit by bit, stirring until it is absorbed and the rice has softened
- Chop one of the beetroots in half and puree it
- Dice the remaining beetroot and a half
- Add the beetroot puree and chunks to the risotto and watch the rice turn a beautiful purple colour
- Mix through the Parmesan cheese and serve with some additional cheese scattered over the top
Just before I go and watch the tennis with a big bowl of strawberries, here is a sneak peek of my new dining room walls…