In my continued efforts to empty my kitchen cupboards and freezer this week (the reason why is soon to come!), I made a huge vat of chilli con carne, using my recipe from this site.
Because I made enough to keep us going for a few evenings, I wanted to serve a different accompaniment each night so it didn’t feel like we were having the exact same meal on repeat, so I made these little beauties…
Sweet potato chips are so easy to do, taste great and make a nice change from a normal potato. They went really well with my chilli but you can have them with practically anything or as a tasty snack on their own.
2 sweet potatoes
A glug of olive oil
Salt and pepper
A pinch of cumin
A pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
How to make it
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 5
- Begin by peeling the sweet potatoes and chopping them up into rough ‘chip’ shapes. As you can see from my haphazard efforts, it doesn’t matter too much if they aren’t identical and you can call them ‘rustic’ if anyone comments on it!
- Spread the chips on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle over the salt and pepper, cumin and chilli flakes and then give the tray a good shake so that all the chips are coated. They should be glossy but not swimming in the olive oil
- Pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes or until they have crisped up nicely. You may want to give them a turn halfway through
- I usually give them another pinch of salt before serving, and then tuck in!