After what has been a particularly tough week at school, I did what every girl needs once in a while…a good girls night in! My friend Cat arrived with a copy of Bridesmaid on DVD and before long we were in our pyjamas, drinking wine, eating cake and putting the world to rights. It was exactly what I needed.
Before today’s recipe, I wanted to share what was one of the best and most useful ‘foodie’ presents I have received…
This is a blank recipe book (Paperchase), helpfully divided into sections so that you have a place for all those recipes you cut out of magazines, jot down on paper whilst watching TV or those that are passed down through friends and family. It is also handy for keeping the recipe cards you pick up in supermarkets, and if you know anyone who likes to experiment in the kitchen and tweak recipes, then it is perfect for them and I wholeheartedly recommend one for their next birthday!
Today’s recipe uses natural yogurt as the base to marinate the chicken. It sticks to the chicken during cooking and keeps it really juicy and tender, while the cumin gives it a lovely spice and flavour. It is inspired by Indian tikka recipes but is very simple and easy to make.
A tray of chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
About 8 tablespoons of natural yogurt (enough to ensure all the meat is covered when the marinade is rubbed in)
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
A handful of cherry tomatoes
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and drumsticks
- In a large dish, put in the chicken and then top with the yogurt, cumin and garlic
- Now you need to rub the marinade in to ensure all the meat is coated (tip, remove any rings for this part!)
- Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes, longer if possible
- In a hot pan, cook each piece of chicken for a few minutes on each side to lightly brown the meat
- Place in a roasting tin with the tomatoes and oven bake for 20-25 minutes
- Serve with cous cous and roasted vegetables
This is also lovely cooked on a barbecue and served with a fresh green salad