I feel that there have been too many virtuous recipes on this blog lately and it is high time for a treat!
I read that it was ‘Blue Monday’ this week, with lots of people breaking their New Year’s Resolutions and falling off the diet wagon, and if you are wavering then these gorgeous little cupcakes will push you over the edge!
Only joking…I think it is important when you are on any sort of diet to still make room for little treats like a glass of red wine, a few crispy roast potatoes or a cupcake, and seeing as my supply of Christmas chocolate is dwindling I felt it was high time to dust off the mixing bowls and get baking again.
Now, I have to confess that I ADORE Chai Tea Lattes. I first had a warming cup of it at about 3am in a field at Glastonbury Festival and it was love at first sip! It is my favourite thing to order in coffee shops, and is tasty with hot milk in the winter or iced in the summer.
Every friend I introduce to it seems to fall in love too, so I hope these gorgeous, warm, spicy flavours translate well into cupcakes!
Today’s recipe has to be dedicated to my fellow Chai tea latte addicts, Collette and Lorna – it feels like we spent every spare lunchtime between our Spanish lectures in Starbucks drinking these whilst catching up…time well spent!
60g of butter or margarine, at room temperature
75g of light muscovado sugar
75g of caster sugar
225g of self-raising flour
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 heaped tablespoon of chai tea powder
2 eggs, beaten
150ml of milk
200g of cream cheese
175g of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of runny honey
How to make it
- Begin by preheating the oven to 175°C, Gas Mark 4
- Cream together the butter and both sugars in a bowl until light and fluffy
- Add the beaten eggs gradually until combined
- Slowly add the flour, baking powder, salt and chai powder
- Finally, pour in the milk and stir well until you have a smooth batter
- Spoon the batter into cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into the cream cheese until soft and light
- Add the vanilla extract and honey and beat until smooth
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, top with this delicious icing and enjoy…with a Chai! xxx