If you hadn’t guessed already I LOVE Christmas (and I secretly love that my friend Cat calls me ‘Mrs Christmas’ too!) which means I welcome December with open arms.
I love the fact that this is the first December with my own class, so I can join in with the children as they get more and more excited as the month goes on!
There are many things to love about this special month, and here are my top 5:
1) The Drinks – I love the fact that it is perfectly acceptable to be merry from lunchtime onwards (obviously once you have finished work for the holidays!) There are drinks that I have in December that I don’t think of at any other time of the year, such as sherry and port. My Aunty Jill gives Ian and I a lovely bottle of homemade sloe gin every year which packs a festive punch. When we visit Ian’s parents, I love to have a glass of cherry brandy and coke (my grown-up version of Cherry Cola!) or a Christmassy snowball cocktail. This year I would love to attempt making eggnog, having discovered the delicious Starbucks eggnog latte. However, it goes without saying that the king of drinks for this month has the word ‘mulled’ in front of it –cider, wine or apple juice hit the spot!
2) The Cosy – a room lit by candles, a real fire or Christmas lights, especially when it is cold outside, is close to perfection. Add to that beautifully decorated rooms and you don’t want to leave the house!
3) The Weather – Ok, not all of it is great especially when you spend the first part of the day trying to de-ice your car but there is always the prospect of…
Wrap up and get outside as early as possible so that you are the first footprints of the day!
4) The Mingling – Families, Friends, Work colleagues…there is always excuse for dinner, drinks and nibbles so make the most of it (and worry about the diet in January!)
5) The Food – for me, the best part! Mince pies, cheese boards, canapés, chocolates, biscuits and all leading up to the main event, The Christmas Dinner. Now, not being a fan of turkey (boring and bland, but that’s just my opinion!), this creates an opportunity to be creative and over the past few years we have had poussin, gammon, and even a three bird roast.
So, as the countdown begins enjoy the cosy times ahead! xxx